16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2012 6:19 AM by alphahh36 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Win7 Media Center Connection

markusw

hi guys!

i have a question about the slingbox pro... in the product description, i read that i can connect a slingbox to windows media center. unfortunally, i didn't find more information - so here is my situation and some questions:

i have a Computer running Windows 7 ultimate x64, and i'm using it to whatch TV with my TV-Card (it's a DVB-S2 (Sat) tuner) and windows media center. Now, i would like to use the slingbox to stream (at least) the Live-TV from my computer to the network.

- how is the slingbox connected to a windows media center pc (lan, usb, or something else)?

- is the slingbox acting as a "media center extender" (such as an xbox360)?

thank you very much in advance for your answers!

• Re: Win7 Media Center Connection
          eferz Expert

I believe in the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's one for you.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3233/pro-hd-back.png

(http://support.slingbox.com/go/pro-hd-back)

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3634/SOLO_back_done.jpg

(http://support.slingbox.com/go/solo-start)

markusw wrote:

- is the slingbox acting as a "media center extender" (such as an xbox360)?

No, the Slingbox acts as a transcoding server and IR blaster.  It uses the IR blaster to send signals to control the corresponding set-top box.  Also, analog signals from the set-top box is transcoded into an encrypted stream which  encapsulates either H.264 or WMV9 video and WMA or AAC audio.

markusw wrote:

- how is the slingbox connected to a windows media center pc (lan, usb, or something else)?

Normally, connectivity between the Slingbox (server) to computer is over the  network.  And you can watch the live stream through Slingplayer (client) which is available as a Desktop Client for PC and Mac, Web Client for Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox, and numerous of Mobile Clients.

markusw

hi eferz!

wow what a fast answer - thanks!

i'm not 100% sure wether i got it or not - sorry. guess i have a problem with my logic here

eferz wrote:

markusw wrote:

Normally, connectivity between the Slingbox (server) to computer is over the  network.  And you can watch the live stream through Slingplayer (client) which is available as a Desktop Client for PC and Mac, Web Client for Internet Explorer, Safari, and Firefox, and numerous of Mobile Clients.

so, i buy a slingbox pro - and i just connect it to power and my network. then, in some way, i can connect the slingbox over the LAN with my computer which has the TV-Card. after that, i take my mobile device or a laptop and i can watch tv using slingplayer?

thanks again for your answer!

tkuhl87

I'm not sure his response is helpful to what you want to do. He's saying that you can watch the content using slingplayer on your PC...this isn't what you want.

I'd like to setup a very similar situation but I'm not sure quite how.

I'm going to purchase a Ceton CableCard for my PC and use Windows Media Cetner to view contnet from that.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

I bet the Slingbox has to connect using Component cables to your PC somehow, but I'm not sure if/how the software will support this even though it says it supports Windows Media Center, I'm starting to think it supports it as a CLIENT and not as a content distributor like you have and like I would like to have.

eferz Expert

tkuhl87 wrote:

I'm not sure his response is helpful to what you want to do. He's saying that you can watch the content using slingplayer on your PC...this isn't what you want.

I'd like to setup a very similar situation but I'm not sure quite how.

I'm going to purchase a Ceton CableCard for my PC and use Windows Media Cetner to view contnet from that.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/products.php

I bet the Slingbox has to connect using Component cables to your PC somehow, but I'm not sure if/how the software will support this even though it says it supports Windows Media Center, I'm starting to think it supports it as a CLIENT and not as a content distributor like you have and like I would like to have.

Right.  At least I think. I might be even more confused now than when I answered the original question.

The Slingbox itself is a transcoding / streaming server.  The Slingbox will transcode whatever is feeding into  baseband input connectors (i.e., Component, S-Video, and Composite,  Audio) and broadcast it over the network.  The Slingplayer is the client software for the Slingbox.  The client is available for various computers and mobile devices.

If you have a video card that has Component, S-Video, Composite then you can feed that signal into the Slingbox and it will rebroadcast to be viewed on a Slingplayer client.  I'm not sure why you would want to use it with Windows Media Center though.  Doesn't WMC have its own DLNA broadcasting capabilites?  If you're trying to get a cable feed, I'd probably use either the HD HomeRun adapter or a Ceton Card depending on the placement requirements.  If you have a setup box that which you want to control and watch as a networked tuner for WMC then Monsoon Media has products that can do that for you.

tkuhl87

That's true. I plan on using Xbox 360's as extenders for all my TVs but it'd be nice to have a solution where I can watch all of that jucy content on my new iPhone 4.

True, you should be able to output the signal from a video card IF it knows what to do with the signal...my fear is that there isn't any software written to actually output the content from your computer to a slingbox, merely to view the material on your computer from the slingbox. I really hope I'm wrong, because it would be very slick to watch all of my recorded shows on the go on my iPhone.

eferz Expert

tkuhl87 wrote:

True, you should be able to output the signal from a video card IF it knows what to do with the signal...my fear is that there isn't any software written to actually output the content from your computer to a slingbox, merely to view the material on your computer from the slingbox. I really hope I'm wrong, because it would be very slick to watch all of my recorded shows on the go on my iPhone.

LOL.  If your video card has the component, composite, or S-Video outputs then you can plug that into the Slingbox and it will broadcast whatever it sees.

So, for example... if you set your computer to mirror your display on the baseband connectors that are connected to the Slingbox then that's what you'll see on the Slingplayer software.  Think of the Slingbox as a virtual television, it has no bearing on what's given to it.  It just rebroadcasts whatever it sees.and hears.

So, you'll need to figure out two questions.  Do you have the software that will display the preferred content on the baseband video connectors of the video card.  Also if the software can be controlled by the IR blasters that come with the Slingbox.

docprego

Wouldn't another way to do this be to get the component video cable for the Xbox 360 and connect that to the input on the Slingbox?  You could then connect the Slingbox component video output to whatever video device you want since it is a passthrough (projector in my case, but it could be a monitor or TV).

I'm thinking if I do this then anything sent to my Xbox 360 acting as a media center extender will be broadcast by the Slingbox.  There is a way to have the Xbox 360 turn on via the sling IR and then that will cause the PC it is sync'd to as an extender to wake up as well.  I'm not sure if the pc will go back to sleep once the Xbox is powered down via the Sling IR.

Just thinking out loud, let me know what you think?

eferz Expert

docprego wrote:

Wouldn't another way to do this be to get the component video cable for the Xbox 360 and connect that to the input on the Slingbox?  You could then connect the Slingbox component video output to whatever video device you want since it is a passthrough (projector in my case, but it could be a monitor or TV).

Yep, that will work.  Though, I think the original poster wanted to use the Slingbox in leiu of media extender like an X-box 360.

docprego wrote:

I'm thinking if I do this then anything sent to my Xbox 360 acting as a media center extender will be broadcast by the Slingbox.  There is a way to have the Xbox 360 turn on via the sling IR and then that will cause the PC it is sync'd to as an extender to wake up as well.  I'm not sure if the pc will go back to sleep once the Xbox is powered down via the Sling IR.

Technically, it would make the Slingbox be recognized as an extender.  Your proposed setup adds the Slingbox capability of place shifting to the X-box.  As for powering down the PC, I don't believe there's a way to initiate that process through the X-box or the Slingbox.  You'll probably need to set up the power options control panel to automate the shutdown based on the lack of activity.

Just thinking out loud, let me know what you think?

Ingenious!  I think its wonderful to hear the many way people want to use their Slingbox.

docprego

To follow up my own post, I did exactly what I suggested and it works perfectly.  I have my Slingbox Solo connected to my Xbox 360 via Component video. Now everything my Xbox 360 sends out can be broadcast by my Slinbox Solo.  Since I have my Xbox 360 set up as a media center extender I am able to Sling everything the Xbox itself can play as well as anything that it can receive from my Windows 7 PC as a Media Center Extender.  The Xbox even automatically wakes my PC when I enter Media Center Extender mode, it all works seamlessly.  The PC even goes back to sleep when idle due to a fantastic freeware tool called MCE Standby Tool. In addition I am able to continue using my Xbox 360 to do all these things with my projector it is hooked up to via the component video pass through.

I am very pleased with this setup, any questions just ask.

charredwater

This is just the thread I was looking for.

I have Windows 7 running on a mini-ITX motherboard which only has DVI and HDMI video outputs. There is no slot to add a video card with component or SVideo output. Is there any way to connect a slingbox solo or HD?  Is there such a thing as a USB to Svideo or component external adapter?

Assuming I did not component or svideo output, does the slingplayer software support a windows media center remote so the IR blaster could control a windows media center PC?

Thanks!

Bryanod Novice

The Pro HD can take the HDMI.  It be a better bet than a dvi to vga to svideo, then audio jacks as well.  I don't know if there is a ir code for media center.  If you viewing on a pc you can remote to it and get around that way. 

eferz Expert

There is no way to connect HDMI directly into Slingbox Pro-HD.  One would need a signal convertor like the HDfury to facilitate the connection from HDMI to Component.

There are actual legal and technological issues with placeshifting  high-definition digital signals.  Most of it is covered under the  Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and Digital Transmission Content  Protection (DTCP).  Often they're enforced by High-bandwidth Digital  Content Protection (HDCP), Selectable Output Control (SoC), or Copy  Control Information (CCI).

This is why placeshifting companies have avoided it.  It was a good  idea too.  As more and more set-top boxes are becoming HDCP compliant,  you'll often see them causing problems.   Whereby, these set-top boxes  are either disrupting or disabling the non-compliant connections to  prevent copying while an Digital HDCP compliant connection is found.   The baseband analog connections (Composite, S-Video, and Component)  aren't affected by these restrictions.  So, its far more practical to be  able to placeshift these signals both technically and legally.